- Special Rings/Frames & Covers
- Large Manhole Rings & Double Covers
- Slab Type Large Manhole Rings & Double Covers
- Rectangular Built Up Frame with Solid Covers
- Rectangular Angle Frame and Solid Covers
- Rectangular Slab Frames and Solid Covers
- Adjusting Rings
- Type K Grating F.D.O.T
- INDEX 235
- Airport Products
- 8700 Steel Hatch Series
- Trough and Perimeter Trench Grating
- Multiple Door Pit Cover
Register: Click Here to Register
|MANUFACTURING PLANT & GENERAL OFFICES
8351 N.W. 93RD Street (DeBogory Drive) Medley, Florida 33166-2096
Phone : (800) 348-8357
Fax : (305) 887-3986
|GREENSBORO AREA BRANCH OFFICE
7123 BROWN SUMMIT ROAD BROWN SUMMIT, N.C. 27214
Phone : (800) 527-8380
Fax : (336) 656-9724
8351 N.W. 93RD STREET MEDLEY, FL 33166
Phone : (800) 432-9709
Fax : (305) 887-9429
|COLUMBIA BRANCH OFFICE
145 CALVIN DRIVE COLUMBIA, S.C. 29223
Phone : (866) 702-1182
Fax : (803) 735-9922
|TAMPA BRANCH OFFICE
2119 S. 50th STREET TAMPA, FL 33619
Phone : (813) 247-7050
Fax : (813) 873-2254
|MOBILE AREA BRANCH OFFICE
100 Bessemer Ave. Prichard, Al. 36610
Phone : 251-272-8645
|ATLANTA BRANCH OFFICE
1105 BOLTON ROAD, N.W. ATLANTA, GA 30331
Phone : (800) 696-6986
Fax : (404) 696-9482
Cast Iron Load Rating
All castings manufactured by US Foundry are proof load tested in accordance with the destructive testing protocol below, and are assigned one of the following four load rating designations:
- Non-Traffic:These castings are intended for areas such as sidewalks, terraces, and other areas not subject to vehicular traffic loads.
- Medium Duty:Castings bearing this designation are able to withstand occasional vehicular loading, but are not intended to receive heavy highway traffic. Applications include driveways, parking lots, and ramps.
- Heavy Duty:These castings are manufactured to withstand highway traffic loads, exceeding AASHTO H-20/HS-20 specifications (wheel loads of 16,000 pounds with a tire contact area of 8” x 20”) 25,000 pounds proof load in accordance with CID A-A 60005 or 40,000 pounds proof load per AASHTO M-306.
- Extra Heavy Duty:For traffic applications requiring even greater load bearing capability, or where increased safety factors are necessary. When castings in this load rating designation are required, please advise loading conditions including total wheel load, tire contact area and tire pressure.
|Designation||Load Application||Minimum Proof Load Test||Reference Specification|
|Non-Traffic||Sidewalks, terraces||1000 pounds||–|
|Medium Duty||Parking lots, driveways||18,000 pounds||–|
|Heavy Duty||H-20 Traffic||25,000 pounds or40,000 pounds||CID A-A 60005 orAASHTO M-306|
|Extra Heavy Duty||Concentrated loads||_||_|
Proof load test is the recommended method for determining a casting’s load performance. This testing procedure is detailed in Federal Specification CID A-A 60005 and AASHTO M 306. The fundamentals aspects of the test are:
- A specified load is applied over a 9″ x 9″ contact area at the center of the casting.
- The load is held for a period of 1 minute.
- The cover, grating or frame is inspected for cracks or permanent deformation.
- Any crack or detrimental permanent deformation will cause the castings to be rejected.
- Most tests are performed with loads greater than those specified, even to destruction.
There are several published specifications that are available to assist designers in specifying iron castings.
It is the responsibility of the designer to determine if one or all of these specifications are appropriate for a given application. These specifications are referenced as follows:
• Federal Specification CID A-A 60005 – Frames, covers, gratings, steps, sump and catch basin manhole
• ASTM-A-48 – Standard Specification for Gray Iron Castings
• AASHTO-M 105 – Standard Specification for Gray iron Castings
• AASHTO-M 306 – Standard Specification for Drainage Structure Castings
* ADA – Americans with Disabilities Act.
* FAA AC 150/5320-6c – Federal Aviation Administration
|H-20||AASHTO H-20* wheel loads (16,000 lbs distributed over a 10” x 20” area with 30% impact factor).|
(NON H-20 TRAFFIC)
|Pedestrian loading of all our standard steel products equals or exceeds 300 lbs per sq ft. (Not to be used for H-20 conditions.)|
|280 P.S.I. (LBS. PER SQ INCH)||Load criteria are based on a linear reduction from 280 p.s.i. for a 2 foot span to 80 p.s.i. for a 10 foot span (ref: FAA AC 150/5320-6c).|
|*Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges, 17th Edition (2002)|